Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Fixed Duration, Units, Work

4 replies [Last post]
Gerry Morgan
User offline. Last seen 19 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi There
Does anyone know of a spreadsheet or sample test project or anything else that will help me understand Fixed Duration, Units, and Work both effort driven and non effort driven.
I am new to MS Project and I am finding this a little hard to understand.
Thanks for any help. G

Replies

Gerry Morgan
Hi Tony
Thanks alot, I see you are in the North West of England, I am originally from Manchester, now living in Toronto, Canada.
Thanks again for the help, Gerry.
Tony McClennon
User offline. Last seen 32 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Gerry,

Glad that the info was of help.

The information was retrieved from MS Project’s own Help guide and not from their web-site (just to save you a bit of time looking!)

I typed "fixed duration" into the search facility, and it then gives you a selection of related help subjects.

Regards,

Tony
Gerry Morgan
Hi Tony
Thanks for taking the time to reply and explain, it was a big help, I will also check out the Site.
Regards Gerry
Tony McClennon
User offline. Last seen 32 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi - MSP Help has some info on this which may be of use. I have also used this to explain the differences, which I have shown below - hope this is of use to you.

Fixed Duration:
The task will remain at whatever duration value has been entered provided effort driven is turned off. If two painters assigned full time for 4 days, duration is 4 days. If additional two painters are assigned, then each painter will be assigned for 50% of their time to keep the duration the same.

Fixed Units:
The allocation (i.e. percentage) of a resource drives the resource requirement. For example, if the task is of 4 days duration and two painters are allocated full time (100%), the painters workload total will be 8 days of work. Again, provided effort driven is turned off, if an additional two painters were assigned, then the total workload would be 4 men x 4 days = 16 days of work, but the duration would remain at 4 days. However, if effort driven is turned on, the duration will be recalculated based on the additional resources assigned to 2 days.

Fixed Work:
As resource assignments are changed, MS project will recalculate the duration e.g. if two painters assigned for 4 days, then two more are assigned to the task, the task duration is reduced to 2 days i.e. the total work content of the task remains constant. Effort driven automatically turned on.