Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Automatic bar colours

4 replies [Last post]
Stuart Atkinson
User offline. Last seen 1 year 23 weeks ago. Offline
Is there a way on Project Standard 2002 to link the text to
the colour of the bar. That is, where ever I add say’Design’,the bar automatically has the colour of green on the Bar Chart and on the legend.

Tried playing-still desparate.

Replies

John Loach
User offline. Last seen 13 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
You can do this by using a flag field (say flag1), with a formula assigned.

The formula needs to identify your keyword within the name field using an iif() funtion, so if it is in a fixed position, thats more helpful.

Then in the Bar Styles dialog, create your alternative bar style, and add ’normal, flag1’. Also add ’Not Flag1’ to the default bar / task bar.

Flag1 will then change to Yes if the word is detected or no if not and the bar style will be determined by the formula automatically.

What I tend to do rather than detect a keyword is to have a text field with an assigned value list. I just choose the value, in your case ’design’, and the bar changes to suit.

This allows you to use the text field as a code and extend the functionality of the built-in grouping functions also.

HTH,
Jon.
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Gents,

Any assistance would be very much appreciated
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Paul is right, you cannot link colors of bars and text; the only way would be a macro
Alexandre
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 16 weeks ago. Offline
I am fairly certain it is not an inbuilt function but you could try writing a macro to format both at the same time.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Book Publishers, Training & Consulting
www.eh.com.au