Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

What use is Knowledge? Blah...blah...blah...

15 replies [Last post]
Darrell ODea
User offline. Last seen 18 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Folks,

What use is Knowledge?

Again another question for my studies.
Would appreciate your inputts.....

All the best,
Darrell

Replies

Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
In my view "Very Sticky Thread"

It should be stopped now, what do u think
Gordon Blair
User offline. Last seen 6 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Phillip,

Many thanks for the critique, I shall take it on board,

Gordon
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys , have read your observations, and here is my thoughts in order of postings.

Darrell, Good thread you have started. Hope it helps you with your studies.

Larry, Good answer, liked your Abbott and Costello Quote

Gordon, You speak greatly of yourself, but projects are multi-disciplinary, and your PC building skills are not everything, however, I liked your quote on the car industry.

Oscar, I believe the original Wilde would be turning in his grave, having been usurped by somebody who has a total of gramatic and spelling skills.

[Deleted by Moderator]

pmkb., Welll researched, but Wikipedia is suspect, and not the final answer, as it is open to abuse.

Darrell. Who is stacy?

Gordon, You guys obviously understand each other, and you pay attention to detail ( a good sign).

[Deleted by Moderator]

pmkb., Try Reading homer or The prince (Miachavellli

As for my own thought, knowledge is something you gain for free (maybe at a cost to you in the sense that you by books and pay internet fees), but the cost is irrelavent, so whenever you have the oppurtunity, to share it, make sure you do. Never die with unshared knwledge in your brain.

Regards

Philip
pmkb .
User offline. Last seen 13 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
lol = laughing out loud

Sorry Darrell, philosophy has never struck a chord in me. I’ll leave the issue for you philosophers to ponder.

Stacy
Participate at the Project Management Knowledge Base!
Darrell ODea
Gordon,

My ignorance is overflowing today...

What does LOL stand for, really I dont know.

Darrell
Gordon Blair
ooops, sorry, that was darrell with 2 l’s
Gordon Blair
LOL...:o)
you know Darrel, you’d do well as a therapist.... :o)
Darrell ODea
Stacy,

Don’t know, what do you think??

Regards,

Darrell
pmkb .
User offline. Last seen 13 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Darrell, what application does philosophy have for planning? Lol. The Wikipedia is your friend:

Epistemology, from the Greek words episteme (knowledge) and logos (word/speech) is the branch of philosophy that deals with the nature, origin and scope of knowledge. It has historically been one of the most investigated and most debated of all philosophical discourses.

Much of this debate has focused on analysing in detail the nature and variety of knowledge, and how it relates to similar notions such as truth and belief. Much of this discussion concerns the justification of knowledge claims.

Not surprisingly, the way that knowledge claims are justified both leads to and depends on the general approach to philosophy one adopts, and so philosophers have developed a range of epistemological theories to accompany their general philosophical positions.

Epistemology

Stacy
Participate at the Project Management Knowledge Base!
Darrell ODea
Oscar,

Not that it matters where I am coming from or what I think, in fact it is quite irellevant to this discussion, because I want to see what or where it leads to. Do you see my point?

Also I want to pick up some objective/subjective opinions.
With this knowledge, all will be revealed eventually.........whenever that is.

So.....What use is Knowledge?

Regards

Darrell
Edgar Ariete
User offline. Last seen 5 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

"knowledge can be stored"....sometimes rotten & spoiled...

And what is Quality Knowledge? Inventing machines?

can you imagine a world ruled by machines?
Gordon Blair
Oscar,

You seem to be confusing knowledge with formal education and academia.

Knowledge can be stored, picked up and used by anyone with the tools to do so (literacy).

The number of people with half an alphabet after their name who still don’t seem to know much only serves to highlight the difference.

Couldn’t agree more about the relative value of experience, but knowledge is only the transfer of another’s experience. The same could be applied to education (resultant letters or not) :o)

Cheers,

Gordon
Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Knowledge
Measured as qualification to reach the alphabet man ie so many letters behinfd name
But is knowledge usefull practical experience is better
Where are u coming from darrell
Oscar WILDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Gordon Blair
This is where we get the concept of ’Standing on the shoulders of Giants’

No one understands everything there is to know (except possibly me)... even the brightest individuals would struggle to be able to explain everything to do with what goes into creating a working PC, such as:

Properties and creation of Plastics...
Basic metallurgy through to mining and purification of semiconductors
Circuit Board Design
Advanced Microchip design (and all of the technologies - including the necessary optics - behind them)
Creation of a CRT
The Power Plant and Distribution Technologies required to get the whole thing up and running, should you get everything else right.

and the list goes on and on and on....

However, what we do have is the gift of transferable knowledge. Where information can be held and used by individuals other than those who discovered / reasoned it.

This means that car Designers, for example, don’t have to reinvent the wheel and internal combustion engine every time they roll out a new model. (In practice, they just slap on a slightly different shape bumper, add/remove a bit of chrome detailing, tweak the shape of the headlights; and call it a new model, thereby reducing the resale of my car considerably... not that I’m bitter).
Larry Blankenship
User offline. Last seen 12 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Knowledge is what allows one to avoid making mistakes by learning from those of others.

Experience is what one hopefully gains from making mistakes oneself.

I’m reminded of an old Abbot and Costello routine (comedy team from the 30s and 40s, most widely known for their Who’s on First? routine)

Abbot: How did you get such good judgement?
Costello: Experience.
Abbot: How did you get so much experience?
Costello: Bad judgement.

Larry