Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Delay Analysis - which Software Package

28 replies [Last post]
Toby Hunt
User offline. Last seen 10 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear All

I have been discussing with colleagues the advantages and disadvantages of converting a programme from one software package into another preferred package in order to conduct delay analyis.

Generally the consensus seems to be that, in most circumstances, converting a programme from one software package to another should be regarded with extreme caution, as the conversion process often results in distorting of the information and therefore the dynamics of the programme. As a result of this, using a different software package to that originally used during the life of the project is often looked upon, within in a claim situation, with suspicion from the opposing side.

However, on previous threads, some within PP seem to use conversion regularly. I assume that this may be because they only have proficiency in one type of software, or prefer to use a tried and tested tool rather than have to learn how to use another. Also there are some packages such as MS Project that have severe limitations for undertaking delay analysis.

Does anyone have an experience which they would be willing to share?

Regards

Toby

Replies

Andrew Flowerdew
User offline. Last seen 2 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Mike,

I’ve had mixed results in conversions - sometimes all goes spot on, other times there are differences, hence that little nagging doubt - it all looks ok, but is there something I’ve missed?????

In the earlier days of automated conversions the results were sometimes way out!

It would be interesting to know if changing/rescheduling P3 and P6 with larger programmes, (say 1000+ activites), gives the same result.

If it does then maybe we do have one conversion we can do in delay analysis that wouldn’t fall foul of the arguments posted earlier.

Similarly, I have never tested to see if there would be differences using the same software but different versions of it - say PowerProject V8 and V10. I know one planner who still uses V5!!!!!!!!!!

You would think it is safe to convert between different versions of the same manufactures software. P3 and later versions being the obvious odd one out due to the changes in operating systems. Would be nice to prove though that this is also safe.
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 28 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Andrew

I once converted a programme from p3 to Powerproject - worked on it - switched it back to p3 and then upgraded it to p6 with no discernable differences.

It would be interesting to go back to the file and knock out a few links to see if the reaction is the same - I will let you know if and when I do.

Hi Michael

How do you "destatus" anything in p3 - any changes are locked solid.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Michael Ridino
User offline. Last seen 14 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Totally agree, I don’t trust the conversion process farther than I could throw the rack server that it is located on. Dual screen monitors with P3 on one and P6 on the other is how I check my schedules.

What I have found is that the softwares tend to calculate the future activities the same and the already statused activities are locked in. (Destatusing may reveal changes, have never tested it) The in progress activities and milestones are where most of the problems occur. I dont think there would be any differences in the two schedules.

Primavera produced a document that explains P3 to P6 conversions. I have it hosted on our website if you want to download it. (3.33 mb)

OnTrack P3 to P6

Not sure if its considered a no-no to share Primavera material. If it is I apologize and will take it down.

Mike

Andrew Flowerdew
Toby,

You’ve hit on two of the key pieces of software that it would be interesting to do a comparison on. P3 and P6, (or any of the intervening ones).

Never done it so don’t know the answer, but possibly they are two pieces of software that might give you the same answer? Or is it too much to expect that the rescheduling techniques and policies used in each piece of software are the same?

Anyone know the answer?

Should add notwithstanding the known problems with calendars when converting from P3 to P6 or vice versa which may have to be manually corrected.
Toby Hunt
Andrew

I think you are right, and I seeing this with the introduction of P3e and P6 - there are still a lot of people who try and use P3 to do the analysis when it probably should be done in P6.

For me, that is one of the tests of a real expert - someone who can get to grips with whatever software is being used, and doesn’t rely on importing into another.

Most delay experts seem to be fully up to speed with the latest information relating to Construction Law and delay, but there are so many that aren’t up to speed on the software.

Regards

Toby
Andrew Flowerdew
Toby,

I was hoping that maybe some of the brains in Hill International would come up with some good arguments for changing the software, must be a problem you come across more than most.
Andrew Flowerdew
Toby,

I know what I’d prefer to do, transfer it.

But, if faced with software I am not familiar with I believe I have three options:

1. Decline the appointment - I guess you have to ask are you the right "expert" to do the job if you can’t use the software under consideration?
2. Find someone who is familiar with the software and oversee the analysis.
3. Transfer the programme and hope the other side isn’t clued up on the differences.

If it was adjudication, still in negotiations or similar I might risk 3. Litigation, arbitration or expert determination I would opt for 1. or 2.
Toby Hunt
It seems that everyone agrees that MSP is not up to the task.

However, what if the software was something like Tilos or CS Project - would you try and learn how to do the analysis in a software in which you are "new", or transfer into PowerProject or P3?
Mike Testro
Hi Andrew

The reason why I prefer PowerProject over p3 is the ability to produce summary chart prints to embed in a word document.

The PowerProject graphics in summary format are clear and precise.

I would not attempt an analysis in Microsoft Project because it is not up to the task.

I would put up a good reasons for switching in the narrative - I believe it would give my case an advantage in a tribunal.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Andrew Flowerdew
Was hoping for some good arguments for allowing the use of different software - I’m guessing we would all like this option to be available at times.

Mike has touched on one - the different software allows more accurate representation of actual events.

More please!
Andrew Flowerdew
Hi Mike,

Have never tried to do a whole analysis to compare but in the past I have certainly done planning on two sets of software - the agreed contract software, (MSP), and PowerProject or P3 as I had little faith in what MSP was telling me. Hence kept my own private programme using software I trusted - NOT a target and contract programme scenario but both were the contract programme, ie should be the same.

The results were often different and on many occassions I manually changed the MSP programme before submitting it so that it tied in with the results of my other programme.

Now that would be confusing in a delay case!!!!!!! (I’m not advocating others do the same either, I didn’t know then what I know now)
Mike Testro
Hi All

Has anyone ever tried doing the same analysis on different software - for research purposes of course.

This would demonstrate if a different result could be expected.

Then again I recently did a delay and acceleration claim using only the flexible calendars available in PowerProject - it would not have been possible in p3.

Best regards

Mike T.
Andrew Flowerdew
All,

The curse of being alone in a hotel, far too much time to think about work related issues! But some further thoughts for discussion:

In all construction contracts, hopefully some person, (CA), will be charged with administering and hence assessing the EoT due under the contract.

The CA can only do one of two things with regard to any EoT entitlement:

1. Precisely nothing, ie. make no decision at all, (not common but not unknown).

2. Make a determination on the EoT due, (most common).

In 1. the contractor is not challenging the decision of the CA as there is no decision to challenge! The contractor is therefore merely trying to prove his entitlement under the contract and in these circumstances he is generally free to prove that entitlement by any means he wants. The contract has not been performed by the CA as he has not carried out his obligation to assess the EoT due. Therefore I would suggest the argument that the CA could not have reached the same decision because different software was used does not apply in this case. The job of the judge or tribunal in this case is merely to ascertain the contractor’s entitlement.

But, there’s always a but, there may be other constraints that do raise valid arguments against the use of other software: see further below.

In 2. the CA has performed the contract and therefore the contractor in not now merely trying to prove his entitlement under the contract, but any dispute amounts to a challenge to the decision of the CA. The job of the judge or tribunal is now "to step into the shoes of the CA and review his decision". The key word being "review" and obviously a different role from 1. above. Therefore I would suggest the argument that the CA could not have reached the same decision because different software was used in this case does apply and you should therefore have prepared a very good answer as to why you haven’t used the same software!!!!!!!

Now here’s the but: In either case if the software to be used has been stated in the contract or subsequently agreed, (possibly even verbally), which probably covers 99% of contracts, this in effect means that the contracting parties have expressly agreed what software will be used to plan, manage and importantly, administer the project. By implication or otherwise they have therefore also agreed what software will be used to determine entitlement to any EoT due under the contract.

Fact: A delay analysis must be in accordance with the contract. Therefore in the circumstances of the last paragraph it would suggest that the same software should be used as doing otherwise would not be in accordance with the parties agreement or the contract. Changing software would amount to changing the parties agreement and or contract.

So:

If the circumstances of 1. apply, you might have a good argument not to use the same software.

If the circumstances of 2. apply, you should have a good answer prepared if you don’t use the same software.

If the "but" applies, you should have an extremely good answer prepared if you don’t use the same software.

If 2. and the "but" applies, just be worried, you’re in for a very hard time if the question of software comes up!

Just my thoughts, non of them have been tested in court as far as I am aware so all comments welcome. Hopefully some good arguments in the opposing direction.
Andrew Flowerdew
Oliver,

Although a true statement I think Kieth Pickervance has already tried that line of attack on Asta PowerProject in court some while ago without too much effect.

Ref software awareness - it is also quite possible that an arbitrator may actually have had experience of using the software under discussion and may know something about it. Less likely to happen in a national court.
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 5 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
How about, "Barrsiter X, i do indeed challenge the analysis of the EoT by the Engineer. In my defence, he used MSP, which is pants."
Andrew Flowerdew
Tony,

To answer your points:

1. Yes, I agree
2. Agree, if you change software then you’d better have some very good reasons why and be ready and able to explain those reasons in some detail if the questions come up.

The "Mr Expert, you are challenging the Engineers existing determination of the EoT with an analysis result that the Engineer couldn’t have arrived at with the different software used on the project, please justify this?" question - I do have an answer to, (as yet untested), but would be interested to hear others thoughts.

Toby Hunt
Andrew

Good point. I guess the point is that anyone who calls himself or herself an expert should be able to answer the query as to why the analysis was done in a different software in a very robust fashion.

That raises two points:
1. There is too many people who call themselves experts who probably are not.
2. A delay expert is not necessarily a planning expert in all forms of software, so on occassion his/her delay analysis will be undermined by the "rubbish in, rubbish out" arguement.

Regards

Toby
Andrew Flowerdew
Tony / Mike,

Both make good points, I agree few baristers could follow the detail of this argument for long but to turn it on it’s head, how many experts would be able to give an instant on the spot solid robust answer confidently to a few well chosen questions they possibly weren’t expecting?

Only takes a couple of spluttered answers to start eroding the confidence of the tribunal in the expert and arouse suspicions that something might not be right. Isn’t that what barristers are out to do?

If someone wanted to go to town and start asking about different settings on software and their affect on the analysis, think I could answer most questions about the most widely used software pakages but not sure I could confidently answer all on the spot.

And then throw in a few legal issues, eg, as below, the authority or power of the expert to change software and analyse the project differently from what the CA could, (most EoT cases are a challenge to the CA’s existing decision), a rather hard time could be in store for the expert.
Mike Testro
Hi Toby

I have never been in the box to be cross examined but I do recall the Laing v Great Eastern case where Gary France was able to show his barrister that the Laing baseline - using the old Hornet software - had been tampered with when a key link from scaffolding to weathertight had been deleted during construction.

If the barrister is well briefed by his expert he will know what to ask - based on the reliable maxim "Don’t ask a question unless you know the answer".

Best regards

Mike Testro
Toby Hunt
I guess it is no suprise then that experts working on different sides of a dispute will get different answers from the same set of facts in their analysis.

The point that this will be flagged if an opposing barrister knows what he is on about is well made - however, I don’t know of many barristers who would be able to follow the arguement in cross examination with an expert. i.e they may well be able to ask the initial question, but if this gets a robust reply from the expert stating his reasons for doing so, how many barristers would then follow this up with a supplementary question on software settings etc; not many I think!
Andrew Flowerdew
Michael,

Thanks for that. Having had a few wierd results when converting from different softwares I have trouble having 100% faith in the automated processes. Even when I’ve checked everything and all looks ok, there’s still that nagging doubt!!!!!

That said, do you know if you had identical programmes in P3 and P6 and you introduced identical changes into both, say you updated progress, added a few activites and changed a few links - would the two then reschedule to give indentical results? (Assuming the same settings were used in both of course)

Andrew Flowerdew
All

Generally I would stick to using the same software package as used on the project. To use another software package allows two things to happen:

1. Differences in conversion
2. Differences in rescheduling results.

Each software package will have it’s own way of dealing with calendars, rescheduling, (eg take Asta PowerProjects incorrect way of rescheduling activites linked with SS & FF links if a duration is reduced to zero, although the latest version includes a fix), resource allocation if applicable, longest path or defined critcal path, etc, etc - could list all the possible different settings each software package has which will result in more differences, (progress overide or retained logic readily springs to mind to mention but one).

Using a different software therefore opens up amongst others, the argument that the analysis has produced results that those on the project could never have obtained, (and therefore base decisions on), as the software used on the project would have given a different result.

Further, a CA determining the EoT could possibly not have come to the same conclusions as found in the delay analysis...... can you challenge the CA’s decision with a result he could not have come up with????? Has a tribunal even got the power to do this, let alone an expert witness???

Basically, change software with extreme caution and expect some arkward questions if the opposing barrister knows what he’s on about, (or is advised accordingly). You might get over the questions but it’s just providing the other side with more bullets to fire and muddy the water.

On balance I think I could come up with more arguments against swapping software than I could for doing it. I think I would prefer to argue for the banning of MSP worldwide except for garage conversions or similar projects than I would want to try and argue for the swapping of software in an arbitration or court!!!!!

Personally only know of the issue being tested once which was in an international arbitration - the tribunal were very definitely not in favour of changing software!!!!!!!!

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Toby
Transfer from one to another software package always must be carefully observed. The German translation of "interface" ("Schnittstelle") has the same meaning as "cut"; it hurts.
Each software has a basis of design of its own. Any transfer will delete information. So you need a lot of experience with both packages to avoid losses of essential data.
First I check the project in the source package and modify if required before import into P6. As I’m experienced with MSP, P3, and P6, I would do transfers between them but not to/from e.g. Spider which I don’t know. This transfer would be once during the start phase of a project e.g. for the plans of subs. In general I don’t agree to regular transfers. As a solution we grant partners (limited) access to our database.
This is my humble opinion. I would like to hear from other solutions. Thanks Toby for this thread.

Regards
Dieter
David Wallace
User offline. Last seen 3 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Sorry Mike,

I didn’t make my point too well there.

I wasn’t suggesting that activities, events or the effect should be taken out of sequence, or that the summary graphic should not contain salient information, i.e. the Baseline data, but that it be summarised, or presented, in a simpler (and sometimes) more meaningful way.

My reference to stapling something to the back, was making sure that no matter what you do to better present the effect, you should always have the original to hand in case the provenance of the clearer information is (and probably would be) questioned.

Drop me an email to **** and I’ll forward you an example of what I mean.

NOTE TO ALL "EMAIL ME’ers": THIS IS NOT AN OPEN INVITATION TO BEG FOR INFORMATION.
Michael Ridino
User offline. Last seen 14 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
I have preformed a hundred or so conversions between P3, P6, SureTrak and MSP. Most of them are "upgrades" to P6. None of them have been at the level of scrutiny of a claims case but I have a pretty good grasp on what errors to expect.

The number one issue is with the relationships of milestones to their predecessors and successors. In P6 a start milestone will be off if it is linked FS instead of SS. Incorrect ties on milestones will also translate to "edge conditions" where you schedule is off by one minute. This can lead to your entire schedule being off by one day.

P6 also treats "bad" logic ties differently. By "bad" I mean tying a 10 day activity SS +50 or tying a 5 day activity FS -10.

There are also issues with calendars and coding if they already exist in the database you are using. I assume most people would convert to a clean database though.

MSP allows duplicate resource names which I have had to delete before a conversion to P6.

My prime example would be taking a approx 8000 activity schedule from P3 to P6. The dates on all activities were off by some weird number (47 minutes i believe). I had to follow the logic back and correct any mistakes.

I have also done numerous conversions where the dates and resources match perfectly. I work with fairly simple schedule though, rarely using resources for more than just man hour calcs.
Mike Testro
Hi Toby.

This is an interesting topic.

When in a forensic dispute situation and their is an expert on the other side I always try to agree the software before starting.

The first choice should be that used throughout the project unles - as you say - it is an unsuitable product such as MSP.

Another ffactor is that I have never yet come across a contract programme that was fit for delay analysis.

They always have to be developed into greater detail before starting and quite often resource modelled too.

I use the original bar sequence and duration as an underlying baseline rather than "pin it to the back".

I use Powerproject because of the cut and paste facility which speeds up data entry and the good quality graphics.

I have in the past transferred p3 to powerproject for data entry and then sent it back for presentation.

Best regards

Mike Testro
David Wallace
User offline. Last seen 3 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
I think the question here is Why?

Why do you feel the need to transfer from one system to another?

If it is to simplify the programme, so that the effect of the event is clearer (without distortion) then use what you feel is better, but always have the original network stapled to the back to prove that all you have done is made the picture clearer, without changing any logic or programme information.

If it is because there is a problem with the system, or you cannot operate the original system, or you are an expert in another system and you feel that your case can be argued more succinctly, then do it, but again have the original network there at hand, as evidence that you have not altered the structure or form of the network/programme.

On a major project in Dubai, we used P3 to determine the effect of the event, but used MS Excel to reflect the ’simple picture’, this worked because within the claim, the ’simple picture’ was used in the Summary and explanatory notes, but the P3 print-outs were included in the detail.

In my opinion, a good way of doing it.

David.
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 5 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
I find that i mostly have to transfer plans between MSP and P5/6, which is never simple.

Due to differing activity types, hours per time period and calendars, the process of migration never provides a like for like programme if you rely solely on the import/export functions of the software. Its actually quite annoying that PM software providers use inter-software capability as a selling point, when only thing they usually do well is copy the names of tasks between 2 databases.

I suppose changing the format of a plan before taking your case to court could be deemed as admitting that you are not an expert on the use of that planning software? and thus may not be best placed to be commenting on the integrity of its output.