Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

As-Built & Critical Path (The Revival)

23 replies [Last post]
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
does Critical Path exist in an As-Buit Schedule?

if it does, How can it be proven?

or it is just an illusion to establish a claim?

p.s. por pavor...

Replies

Anoon Iimos
Uri,

I’m more interested in retrospective approach. How they were proving it?
Matthew Edwards
User offline. Last seen 16 years 30 weeks ago. Offline

Please have a look at this paper from the PEO.

http://www.planningengineers.org/publications/papers.aspx
Uri Shachar
User offline. Last seen 7 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Anoon,

I DID NOT recommend the As Built vs. As Planned. I said that the recommended method (by the Protocols and also by KP) is Time Impact Analysis and the AP v AB should be used only when there is no better choice under the Contract.

the TIA is applicable for BOTH scenarios - during the life of the project or after the project has been completed - looking at the issues prospectively i.e. putting together a ’status’ (or a snap-shot) programme using the information that was available at the time of the delay and ignoring new information that was revealed since the delay occurred (or became known, or ceased affecting the project depending on the language of the Contract).
Anoon Iimos
Uri,

i just transfered to another location...

you said No, but you are recommending As-Built vs. As-Planned analysis, isn’t it the same thing?

Time Impact Analysis - where is this applicable? During the life of the Project? or even after the Project has been completed?
Uri Shachar
Annon,

you’ve asked: Is it right (ethical, whatever you call it) to use an As-built Schedule in presenting the supposed to be real or actual Critical Path?

my answer would be: NO! it is not right unless you have no other choice under the Contract.

see also the famous Protocols which recommend the Time Impact Analysis method over any other method (including the as built v as planned) and Keith Pickavence excellent books.
Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 10 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Yes, sometimes and in some cases it seems that arbitration is inevitable.
Anoon Iimos
"arbitration", i believe this is where Lawyers come-in. And an impartial judge which is also a Lawyer.

it seems that Planning and Critical Path comes down to Law!

is it?
Karim Mounir
Well, If you have rights (which neither have been compensated nor approved in the project’s lifetime) then u can fly high and go for arbitration.

Anoon Iimos
Ok Karim,

It’s fair enough, during the lifespan of the project. But what after the Project has been 100% completed?

What tool are you going to use (that would be fair enough)?
Karim Mounir
Anoon,

IMO, it’s fair enough to use the "half-baked As-built" Schedule to present the real, modified, changeable, inconstant CP, it’s a fact (and i like turquoise!!).

Anoon Iimos
you forgot that i have 2 O’s!

An Updated Schedule or Current Schedule, may not be completed but with Actuals in it. So maybe you can call it a half-baked As-built Schedule, but i suppose, once completed, it will become an As-built Schedule.

Now, once completed, (using colors in the software), you’ll see all blue lines (if that’s your favorite color), without any reds at all.

Again, Is it right to use it as to present (or calculate) the supposed to be line of criticalities?
Karim Mounir
Anon,

Refer to Trevor & Uri comments, The As Built Program can’t have critical path because the CP activities got actuals.

IMO, it’s fair enough to use the updated schedule to present the real, modified, changeable, inconstant CP, it’s a fact.

Regards,
Karim
Anoon Iimos
Karim,

i did not come from a Contracts & Claims background, but i suppose the issue of As-built Critical Path arise because of Claims.

again, the question is: Is it right (ethical, whatever you call it) to use an As-built Schedule in presenting the supposed to be real or actual Critical Path?
Karim Mounir
Anon,

What i know is that if u want to issue a claim then u’ve to do it through the project’s lifetime, many contract types says that if the contractor want to issue a claim then he has to issue a notice to the engineer at his earliest (such as in Fidic) during the lifetime of the project.

The main reason to issue a claim is that the VO requested or the delay in issuance of dwg. or issuance of revised dwg. affected the "As-planned" schedule and its CP (which can be proved by comparing the CPs between the As-planned and the actual schedules).

What is after the project’s lifetime can be done by arbitration and that kind of stuff.
Matthew Edwards
Gents,

I have a critical path on my As-Built programme. If you want a copy of it in Powerproject give me your details.

Regards

Mat

Anoon Iimos
Uri and All,

i got two (2) O’s, i suppose we’re not talking about Critical Path from a software (tool) point of view. Maybe that’s the difference between Lawyers and Engineers / Planners. A good Lawyer can make a dead person live.

Critical Path as-planned maybe different from reality. Sure, there’s no way to compute floats once the activities were completed. And maybe we all know that floats are subjective or speculative, it may exist or may not.

Maybe the question is, Is it right to use an As-built Schedule in determining the real Critical Path?

Or Claims must only be acted during the life of the project, once project is completed, there’ll be no more claims...?

Uri Shachar
Annon,

the ’updated schedule’is a different issue altogether. the as planned can remain exactly the same (very unlikely) or it can change (with or without changes to the CP), depending on the circumstances on the project.

the point is simple: when you look forward either prospectively or when planning aheaed there is (at least one) critical path whereas when you look backward i.e. retrospectively there can be no critical path.

i know this is hard to grasp. perhaps the easiest way will be to look at your software (even on MS Project) does actual activities have float? can they be critical or non-critical? of course not! criticality is a planning concept and activities with actual dates can not be nor critical neither non-critical.

I understand your fraustration due to the lack of agreement between the ’experts’. i think it is more to do with different schools of thoughts (new v old).

in any case, Delay Analysis will not be the only area (there are other, arguebly more important area like medicine in which there are arguments)in which ’experts’ do not agree!
Karim Mounir
Anoon,

IMHO, the CP in the updated schedule can’t be the same as the As-planned schedule, it must be different and changed many times in the lifetime of the project due to the modified criticality % of the activities (which is due to delay in site activities or delay in delivery times or revised drawings etc...).

However if your claiming then you can prove whether the modified CP in the updated schedule is due to delay from the contractor/consultant/owner side (ie. u don’t have to wait till the end of the project to produce an AS-built schedule without a CP).

Regards,
Karim
Anoon Iimos
i’ve seen and read that discussions, you’re right, it has been discussed at length but i don’t think it has been resolved.

if experts (or the best men in the industry) cannot resolve it, what will happen to ordinary guys like us? Is there nothing around to rely to? just in case you’re having the same problem?

if As-Built Program / Schedule cannot have critical path, how do you consider As-Built Project? Does As-built Project doesn’t have Critical Path the time it was done?

if there is Critical Path in your As-Planned Schedule, I suppose there should be in reality...

Uri Shachar
I absolutely agree with Trevor. The As Built Program can not have critical path. I think the longest discussion in this forum revolved around this issue. Look for the topic with the most replies and viewing. the issues have been already discussed there at length.
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 44 weeks ago. Offline
It is an illusion invented by lawyers.

Consider this, only planned Tasks, ie planned to be performed in the future, relative to some date, can be Critical or not because there is the possibility that they have zero Float, or some Float, because they have Early Start, EF, LS, LF. Any Task that has been done does not have any ES,EF,LS,LF or Float because it has an Actual Start Date and an Actual Finish Date.
Anoon Iimos
Mat,

is the Critical Path in your As-built Schedule the same as the Critical Path in your Baseline or Target Schedule?
Matthew Edwards
Anoon

As long as your As-Built Programme is undertaken / updated daily and is accurate, then you will be able to establish a critical path.

I have done this successfully on a E100M Hotel / Comercial development in Cork, Ireland. In doing so, I was able to verify potential EOT claims from sub-contractors and report delays from late design information.( NB - All site based planners must do this for claims purposes.)

Mat