Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Prolongation Cost

19 replies [Last post]
Skan Bu
User offline. Last seen 13 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

Just not to high-jacked the other thread "Ownership of Float", I start this one.
Since M.Duce mentioned it in the other thread, I would like to know more about Prolongation Cost.

My understanding initially there is
1)A Contract
2)Delay - could be due to Variations or others
3)EOT Claim
4)Assessment of EOT Claim
5)Asssessment of ownership of Float

What is Prolongation Cost & how is defined?

Can’t we use the priced preliminaries in the Bill?

Replies

Skan Bu
Hi Kinley,

"Prolongation costs may be based on the preliminaries identified in the contract but they are not the same thing"

Pardon my ignorant, what do you mean & can you expend or give example?

(I have also found a defination for Prolongation claim:

"Prolongation Claims are claims for additional time related costs associated with delays caused by the Principal. A prolongation claim is a claim for ’Delay Costs’")

Isn’t that all costs associated with delays caused by the Principal can be re-embursed? What item can’t & what reasons can be given?

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Skan,

Yes it is possible defending on their contract. Be aware that prolongation may not be treated only as cost it may also value as variation.

a) If both client and contractor agreed on lump sum acceleration including prolongation cost at contractors risk then that should be covered except if the principal/ client made another cause of delay which is a different issue.

b) It is also possible that both client and contractor agreed on lump sum acceleration with out prolongation cost and value the prolongation as a separate variation to compensate the losses.

On your query I assumed that both parties agreed on lump sum acceleration including prolongation cost which falls on category “a”.

Regards,

Rodel
Skan Bu
Hi Rodel,

Thanks for the clarification on the Prolongation & acceleration cost.

I have also found a defination for Prolongation claim:

"Prolongation Claims are claims for additional time related costs associated with delays caused by the Principal. A prolongation claim is a claim for ’Delay Costs’"

Can a Principal instruct the contractor to accelerate (ie regconising that the Principal had gave variations which extended the contractor scope of work but wish to catch up with the programme), agree on a lump Sum for the acceleration, still could not meet the target and later receive a prolongation claim on top of the acceleration cost?

Thanks
Rodel Marasigan
Yes I totally agree with you Kinley, that is why I mentioned compensation for idle, etc… which is based on preliminaries.

cheers,

Rodel
Kinley Brown
User offline. Last seen 15 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Prolongation costs may be based on the preliminaries identified in the contract but they are not the same thing.
Rodel Marasigan
Hi,

Prolongation costs are more often called “preliminaries”. Usual lump sum contract is governed by the standard contract form where conditions agreed to in the contract mean that many matters are at the contractor’s risk.

However, delay and cost may result from the Principal’s (clients) instruction to delay or vary the work. Delay in getting decisions or information to contractor in sufficient detail to enable the work to proceed or from excessive requests for variation and changes to be made.

As long it is documented, proven, qualifying delays on WUC and client was immediately notified then in these or some other cases the contractor may be entitled to claim compensation for idle, scaffold, plant, cranes, foreman’s time, offices and sheds, disruptions of the program and arrangement, storage and other cost. These claims can be considerable and reinforce the need for contract to proceed without delay and with prompt decision and supply of information and should be able to secure an EOT and protection from damages.

Acceleration is commonly a definitive action or alternative solution to catch up delay, variations and change of scope bound in EOT which is not always the case. It may be a result of work acceleration due to variation or delay approved by the client but accelerated cost paid in progress claim.

Cheers,

Rodel
Andrew Flowerdew
User offline. Last seen 2 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
So if you read the below and the "Whose Baby is total float" posting you should hopefully get an idea what the contractor is entitled to if he prices a shorter time than the actual contract time period - and under what circumstances.

I’ve tried not to define "prolongation" as it is often used in two slightly different contexts:

1. Equates to EoT time related costs.
2. Only equates to time related costs in a delayed period within the original contract period and is different from the EoT time related costs.

In the case below the judge uses the term in the context of 1. above but personally I like to think of prolongation costs as those "loss and expense costs" related to 2.

But who am I to argue with a judge! Your Honour, I totally agree with you!!!!!!!!!! Take your pick.
Andrew Flowerdew
All,

Ok, at the risk of confusing everyone the issue of prolongation costs was discussed in the following case:

Glenlion v Guinness Trust [1988] 39 BLR 91, QBD

Extracts of judgment:

[I]t has always been the better view that under the JCT form (and indeed under the ICE conditions) a contractor is "entitled" to complete the works earlier than the date for completion. If an employer would be embarrassed by having to takeover work significantly earlier than the date for completion then appropriate provision should be made by way of an amendment to the contract documents so that at the time of tender the contractor can price accordingly. Nevertheless it does not of course follow that the employer is bound by the contractor’s internal pricing, eg if the contractor had priced to complete the works four weeks earlier than the contract period the employer would not necessarily be obliged to pay the contractor the cost of a four week prolongation up to the original date for completion even if it was due to matters for which the employer was contractually responsible, unless perhaps the employer had been made aware before contract of the basis of pricing. He would be entitled to assume that the contractor had priced for all risks that might lead to work taking the full contract period to complete and accordingly that his rates and prices covered the possibility of having to remain on site for the full period. If there was a significant difference in price then one might reasonably expect the contractor to make it clear when tendering and, where appropriate, to submit an alternative tender so that the prospective employer would be aware of the competitive nature of the tender......

[H]owever, it by no means follows that simply because the contractor is entitled to complete the works earlier than the contract completion date that he has a right to do so which gives rise to a corresponding duty on the part of the employer to permit him to do so, and in particular to furnish him with information or otherwise positively co-operate so as to enable him to do so. The contractor is merely free from any contractual restraint and may complete earlier. The employer must not prevent him from doing so but this does not mean that the employer is bound to facilitate in a positive way the implementation of the contractor’s privilege or liberty.....

[t]here was no implied term that the employer would enable the contractor to carry out the works in accordance with a programme which showed a completion date before the date for completion. Earlier in his judgment the judge had referred to the concession which had very properly, and in our view correctly, been made by counsel for the contractor, namely that "both parties at the time of entering into the contract would have been well aware that contractors frequently produce programmes that were over optimistic". The learned judge then drew on the percipient observations of Mr I N Duncan Wallace QC as editor of Hudson’s Building Contracts, 10th Edn (at p 663), and also on the more recent writings of Mr Donald Keating QC in the First Supplement on p 37 of his work on Building Contracts 4th Edn. In adding to p 37 of the principal work Mr Donald Keating says (in our view correctly) that the proposition that it was the contractor who could decide when he should be supplied with instructions was "too wide". He goes on to say: "Such a decision is a factor but not decisive. A contractor cannot unilaterally determine what is a reasonable time." However Mr Keating QC rightly draws attention to the fact that approval of a programme or possibly even acquiescence in the submission of a programme might give rise to the inference that the contractor’s requirements were reasonable for the purposes of determining a question of fact which might arise under the terms of a given contract. However, unless an architect or an engineer is given express authority to agree a programme in such a way as to vary the contract terms, approval or acquiescence in a programme will not of itself alter any of the basic obligations of duties of the parties to a contract, particularly in the light of the observations of Diplock J in Neodox v Swinton & Pendlebury BC, ie that one would be looking at what was reasonable in all the circumstances not merely from the point of view of the contractor but also from the point of view of the architect or engineer, eg a drawing office programme for a complex project.
Skan Bu
Hi all,

Apologise for the post earlier, did not read & fully understand the statement made. On reading it again after a break, I think I got the idea.

On Charlie’s comment:
I assume you work in the UAE still.
What contract do you normally use there?
Do your subcontract trade specific like in UK?
In Uk, the subcontract that I see, usually have to state their scope of work at the front of the contract and some specifically state the trade eg L,P & M for concrete, rebar & fornwork or labour only carpenter.

Is it not a risk if you do not state the trade and award a carpenter the joinery package? Both are wood/timber related but I believe one is more refine. The carpenter may not necessary know or have the skill to produce a cabinet but he knows how to knock 4 pieces of wood together and but a pair of gate hinge on.

Even if the owner of the subcontractor take on more work, he might not have the appropriate supersivors to look after the work & ensure the quality is maintained.

As regarding Prolongation Costs & Contract, not all contract clearly state every words related in the construction industry in the contract.
I think there are probably words that are commonly used but not mentioned in the contract and yet it is accepted as norm. AH!! I thought of one - Float - is this mentioned anywhere in the contract?

That bring back to the phase "prolongation costs".
What is it and is there a legal defination or a defination that we all can associated with?

Re: Rodel comments
You have introduced another phase which could satrt a new thread - Accelerated cost

What is "accelerated cost" and the defination?
"accelerated" could mean move faster or inject impetus.

In an EOT claim,do one ask for cost to expidite the progress or asking for time? I was thought that EOT is to cover against LD, not necessary cost involved.
In a situation where a main contractor ask for EOT and EOT is granted, does that mean the contractor will automatically have no LD if exceed the original contract period and automatically have cost (what cost?) paid.

Your comment:"“EOT including extent” entitlement was determined and assessed with accelerated cost involve which contribute big losses to contractor then prolongation cost can be claimed together with EOT substantiated by qualifying delay and accelerated cost involved."

It sound as if the contractor get:
1)EOT (time)
2)accelerated cost involved (£ or $)
3)prolongation cost (£ or $)

Could you explain what is in (2) & what is in (3)?

If the client did not instruct the contractor to accelerate, is it not a risk for the contractor to inject extra resources to progress the work & complete ahead of the planned sequence/schedule? The contractor may not be able to recover the cost on the extra resources put in based on the fact that "in the contract, ther is no instruction to progress with additional resources or no such variation"

Wow!!, it is an inresting thread & I am working overtime here , Ha ah, surprise myself too!!!! I did sort of understand the lecture after all...I think....

Thanks

Skan Bu
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.
I must say, I am a little lost with both Charlie & Rodel explanation, either because I have not grass the concept of EOT yet or my knowledege is still stuck on the basic.

BUT, I always believe that eventhough if it is said in "jargon" or "flowery" words, it can always be simplified to basic english.
(This is not a dig at both of you)
Could either one of you explain it a little simpler so I can catch up.

The way I see "Prolongation Costs"
A contract have a duration to complete.
The project took longer to complete.
Reasons could be due to additional scope of work added eg variations.
The contractor gave notice for EOT and claim EOT.
The designer accepted that notice was given and that there is a case for EOT, they assessed the EOT and award the EOT.

Is the preliminaries costs assocaited for the EOT period granted called Prolongation Costs? (Prolonged stay on site due to faults not of the contractor)
OR
The contractor took longer than the original contract period + EOT period, call this X. The designer granted EOT but decided that the X,period beyond the end date of EOT, they do not wish to levy LD so just pay Prolongation Costs(preliminaries)?

Hope someone can clarify.

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Rodel,

This is a new dimension of prolongation cost.

Well taken.

Your idea is that prolongation cost was incurred during acceleration at extension of time period and such acceleration did not become a reality (due to fault of the client), hence, the contractor got stuck up in the project with negligible progress. Since the contractor got stuck up in the project overhead cost is the basis in claiming for prolongation cost.

Quite complicated.

Cheers,

Charlie

Rodel Marasigan
Hi all,

My view of prolongation cost is a result of qualifying delay on works under contract and entitlement to claim EOT with accelerated cost involve on the assessments of claim and may end up with legislation or arbitration to resolve the issue.

On general condition of contract where “EOT including extent” entitlement was determined and assessed with accelerated cost involve which contribute big losses to contractor then prolongation cost can be claimed together with EOT substantiated by qualifying delay and accelerated cost involved. It varies on the type of contract where a dispute arouses due to accelerated cost burn by the contractors beyond the “WUC” works under contract.

On the case study mention earlier, prolongation of cost may not exist because the accelerated cost was not mention and additional scope may cover the losses of the said subcontractor.

Prolongation cost is determined and assessed based on EOT and cost associated against it. If proven and quantifiable then entitlement for prolongation cost are present on EOT claim.

Most of the cases where prolongation cost become present is lump sump contract and KPI base milestone where the definition of practical completion are ambiguous. If a qualifying delay on WUC was determined and substantiated by EOT with accelerated cost involve on the claim disputing the total lump sump amount. An experience planner determined the EOT and an expert QS or claim consultant will justified the accelerated cost.

Thus it makes sense???

Regards,

Rodel
Charleston-Joseph...
Hi Skan,

I also did not encounter prolongation cost written in the contract.

I just make a "ride on" on Andrew idea. The case study I mention was real.

It did happen. And it will continue to happen.

This is a typical case wherein big construction company will find out that it is better to sub-contract than rely on in-house workers that becomes inefficient/politician/inefffective as they stay longer in the company, say more than ten years.

Small construction company, specially start up, can easily increase productivity rates since the pioneers usually are hardworkers and dedicated to the company to grow and dream that maybe someday they will become major players in the construction industry.

In construction, this company will sub-contract purely structural concrete works (concrete beams, girders-formworks, re-bar works and concrete works), labour only. Then the main contractor will draw them to add more works, generally masonry works (hollow blocks, blockworks). Eventually, if the main con judge the performance of the sub-con, some finishing works may be added to their scope, says plastering.

The main contractor usually staggered the award or increase in scope of work in the event the sub-con is a newbie. The reason is to check the newbie performance.

So when Andrew gave his opinion regarding prolongation cost, I come up with a case study that happened anywhere around the world. I vet if his idea is acceptable.

Now I understand it is not, unless clearly stated in the contract that prolongation cost is applicable, because the client representative will usually evaluate the merit of the claim for prolongation cost based on the contract between the client and contractor/sub-contractor.

It must be clear in the contract that the parties to the contract agreed on prolongation cost clause.

It may still possible that contractor/sub-contractor may claim prolongation cost by using precedents. But, then, this is the job of Andrew and there tribes of forensic claims analyst. That is what they are paid for, and there client pay them big, bigger than our normal monthly salary.

As for us, we will just continue enjoying planning

Cheers,

Charlie

Skan Bu
Hi Charlie,

I must say, I am not sure Prolongation Cost is written anywhere in any contract but I have heard the phase been used.

I started this thread when I spotted Mike Duce mentioned it in the "ownership of float" & asked for clarification.

It is interesting and no harm exploring how each interpret it, meantime we can check whether it is in any contract.

Should you are still interested to contribute further, how do you define Prolongation Cost & what should be included in Prolongation Cost.

Can all the items in the original Preliminaries be used as Prolongation Cost?
Any case law we can refer to?
For a start, it raised another "grey" area in the Blocks work & concrete,reinforcement & formwork.
Would you interpret that as Variations?

Thanks
Charleston-Joseph...
Skan Bu / Andrew,

Before we proceed further, generally the decission to give prolongation cost must be based on contract between two parties.

I have not really encounter a black and white contract stating or entitlement "PROLONGATION COST".

Is this shown in FIDIC, JCT, etc. or just some invention from some smart contract guys out there?

If it is not in the contract, then, no need to waste time.

We will cut this thread and say good bye

See you in other great threads.

Cheers,

Charlie
Skan Bu
Hi Andrew & Charlie,

Thank you for the feed back & I would like to put in my thoughts before Andrew’s reply.

(A)"contractor A was given an additional scope, this time masonry blocks (no finishing works)"

Can this constitute a variation?

My query is whether masonry blocks is "structural concrete works (formworks, re-bars, concrete)". I think this is totally different from the original scope of work or trade.

Prolongation due to the "interruption beyond the control of the sub-contractor A" should be ascertained and sub contractor A should have his cost reimbursed.

(B)I would recommend that subcontractor A to notify the Client that the original scope of work had been disrupted the minute he discovered that there is an interruption beyond the control of the sub-contractor A. This serve as a warning to the client so that the design team/client to take all possible action to reduce any further disruption and also to register a possible claim. Whether the claim will come to fruitation or not is a different case, maybe for the sake of good relationship & kindness, a FOC for the client at the end is a business decision.

(C) Legitimate entitlement should always be registered so as to minimise sub contractor A risks and interest.

(D)"....where a contractor had made it clear that he intended to carry out a contract quicker than the contract period but was then kept on site by additional works but didn’t over run the contract period."....what items the contractor can claim as prolongation costs? could you expend this so I can understand the implications? This seems to have a link with another thread " who owns the float"

What do you think, Andrew?
I would appreciate your explanation

Charleston-Joseph...
Hello Andrew,

A simple case study:

The contract of sub-contractor A was structural concrete works (formworks, re-bars, concrete) baseline duration = 12 months. Sub-contractor A was doing the job on schedule for one month time. Due to some interruption beyond the control of the sub-contractor A, force majeure (during the proposal and contract signing, nobody know the existing 133KV cable that need to be relocated now that construction progress), sub-contractor A concrete work productivity was reduce because sub-contractor A, need to coordinate with the utility contractor (doing the diversion work). The space and time was done in such a way that utility contractor access the space while sub-contractor A will access after some time: total work period for sub-contractor A was approximately reduced by 4 hours per working days. However, sub-contractor A can access the site without hindrance from 6:00PM to 6:00AM.

When the diversion was clear, sub-contractor A can proceed with the work without interruption. Sub-contractor A was delayed in structural concreting work by 3 months.

Subc-contractor A proposed to the client that in 8 months time reckoned from the baseline, the delays of 3 months will be wipe out (no more delay) at the same time, contractor A will be on schedule as per baseline. However, as the work progress halfway in the timeline (after 6 months), contractor A was given an additional scope, this time masonry blocks (no finishing works) and the baseline duration is 10 months, reckoned from the date of award, 6 months after the baseline.

For the sake of the case study, contractor did the job on schedule.

Questions:

a.) Can sub-contractor A claim for prolongation costs?
b.) At what period in time will it be suitable for sub-contractor A to inform the client of his intentions to claim for prolongation cost?
c.) In your experience, will prolongation cost enhance client and sub-contractor relationship. Is this an incentive to the sub-contractor to deliver and win additional contract?
d.) What if scenario: sub-contractor A was not able to finish the job on schedule.

I appreciate you ideas. It will help us broaden our understanding of prolongation cost

Cheers,

Charlie

Andrew Flowerdew
Skan,

A very good example of prolongation costs (as opposed to an EoT claim) would be the case where a contractor had made it clear that he intended to carry out a contract quicker than the contract period but was then kept on site by additional works but didn’t over run the contract period.
Kinley Brown
User offline. Last seen 15 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Prolongation costs are the costs incurred by the contractor as a result of being detained on site longer than planned.

The priced preliminaries are generally inappropriate for assessing the additional cost as they are usually a best estimate of the likely costs and are often rather arbitrary