Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Converting from Power project to P6...... Helpppppppp

4 replies [Last post]
BRAVE G
User offline. Last seen 7 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

Have anyone got Ideassssss

Replies

Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 32 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Geoffrey,

I was faced with this problem once before.

The issue is not saving the PP to Primavera format its what happens when you open in P3 or P6.

Avoid use of multiple tasks on bars, each task in PP will become an activity in P3/6

I can only suggest that prior to saving your PP file to an XER format you open your PP file in a table showing the unique task ID (task per line option). Copy the Unique task IDs into excel, in excel change the UID's to consecutive numbers then copy and paste back into PP.

Now save file as xer. You may still have some schedulling issues but at least you can sort the activities into the same order in which they were in your PP file.

BRAVE G
User offline. Last seen 7 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

Barry thanks for your recommendation

Mike Thanks,

There is this job i'm chasing and that's precisely what they want my to doooooo.... I don't know whyyyyy.. They need me to convert from PP to P6 and do some presentations....... Funny isn't it

Barry Drape
User offline. Last seen 4 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Geoffrey,

See the attached link

http://www.eh.com.au/Technical%20Papers/070728%20PowerProject%20&%20P5%20Import%20and%20Export.pdf

I've had recent cause to import a file generated in PP into P6. Most of the data imported OK including activity codes and calendars. However, the devil is in the detail. There were some errors in the transfer process leading to incorrect scheduling of some activities. Grouping and sorting also required a bit of work. It is certainly not a painless process but with a bit of work shouldn't cause you too much trouble.

Regards,

Barry

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Geoffrey

If you have Powerprfoject v 10 or 11 and P3 on the same drive you can convert directly between the two systems.

P3 can then be upgraded to P6.

You will howver lose a lot of detail from PP.

You may try saving PP as an .xml file but I do not know if P6 will accept it.

The thing that I really want to know is - Why bother?

Best regards

Mike Testro