Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

SUSPEND DATES

8 replies [Last post]
DAVID STEELE
User offline. Last seen 16 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
In P3 we have the functionality of supending an activity at one date and then resuming it at a later date.
Is there a similar functionality in P3E

Replies

Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I think suspend/resume is there for a reason. It is used during updating of programs, such as when late deliveries occur, which stops a certain activity, Should there be simular problems occuring in the same activity, either a log can be recorded, or the activity can be allocated it’s own calendar, showing the disruptions as non-working periods. In normal terms, it is not likely that more than one such disruption should occur, but it happens occasionally and therfore for the purpose of good recording of events, we have calendars, logs, etc. UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEM AND WORK OUT THE SOLUTION WITH THE TOOLS AT HAND.

Regards
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
There are several reasons why the Suspend/Resume option is less useful than plain old splitting the activity. Speaking of my experience with this feature using P3,

1) you can only Resume once. How may issues like weather do you see where it stops raining and never starts again? Life is complex and a single Suspend/Resume per activity is often not enough.

2) You cannot properly use Suspend in the ‘future’. Setting a projected Suspend date past the current data date will cause P3 to act as if the Suspend is currently underway. No one seems to notice this fault and most continue to use it in this condition.

Anything that you can do with Suspend/Resume, you can do more simply and with better explanation by splitting an activity into its multiple parts when the delay is encountered or planned.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
I think Ron’s solution is right in one way, If you expect something is going to happen but for unforseen situations suspend dates option is required.
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 2 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
As a Primavera PAR, I have a whole industry waiting for suspend/resume! So much of the work done here in the Offshore Oil and Gas sector is weather sensitive. We do not know when the weather window will close, so we cannot break an activity into two parts when we prepare the plan. I have the Beta of V5 - it works!
Jihad Daniel
User offline. Last seen 8 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
However, Suspend/Resume option is helpful in tracking activities and identify suspension/resume dates and reasons for delays. This option helps in forensic planning and contractual matters specially if the consented and agreed upon schedule is not detailed and broken down to lower levels. Furthermore, each feature in Primavera is created to have a certain role and help the Planner in managing his program. Why not use this feature if it exists and why going to another "clever" alternative which is not always exhaustive.

With all my respects and regards,

J. Daniel
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Let’s be honest here. Suspend/Resume never worked the way we wanted it to in P3. Let’s not hold our breath for it being any better in P3e/c. A FAR superior alternative to Suspend/Resume is to break the activity into two parts; “Dig Ditch 0-123 m. until Obstruction Encountered” and “Repair LPG Pipe & Dig Ditch 123-450 m.” is much better than Suspend/Resume. Don’t wait for a poor feature when your brain is still available. Good luck!
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 2 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Until version 5, all you can do is use an actvity specific calendar
Bill McMichael
User offline. Last seen 12 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Suspend and resume dates are in version 5, which is scheduled to be available in July 2005.

Regards,
Bill