Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 installed

7 replies [Last post]
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Today we got the upgrade to P6. Just to let you share our experience.
Installation was done by the German PAR. This was a good decision. I don’t think that IT and we planners were ale to manage. Server installation (Web-Server, Job-Service, parameter settings, and database and MS SQL-Server upgrade) took about 90 minutes.
Client with stand-alone database: The only unusual: to clean the registry from SQL-Server entries after de-install and then reboot.
Result: More functions, this was advertised already. But more important for us: Much better performance and basic myPrimavera. It was an excellent service by the technician.
After some experience I can tell you more.
Regards to all
Dieter

Replies

Ahmet Cetin
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi all,
For the ones who didn’t upgrade, I strongly suggest P6. For Windows client, especially if you are using what-if projects, the new reflection feature is amazing. You can create reflection of your current project make changes, test it, then save it back to the original project with a click. Other important feature is bucket planning. You can manually enter how many units of resource to assign to the activity per time period manually. No more custom resource curves :)

No need to talk about web interface, it is perfect. New customizable Dashboards are amazing. For administrators, you can fix the user interface and force them to use for user groups. Web project management is almost reality.

Actually, I’m surprised to see problems with the installation. If you installed P5 before successfully, it is exactly the same. I’m not telling that installation of P5 is easy, but if you get used to do it, you won’t have any trouble. Most difficult part is collaboration server for myPrimavera. If you won’t use collaboration features, then installation of myPrimavera is also pretty easy.

Regards,

Ahmet Cetin

Visit PrimaveraTools.com
Primavera Tools, Forum, Tutorials
Patricia Le Clainche
User offline. Last seen 9 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Dieter,
That looks good. I did not way, and I put pressure on my "dear Admin" to get this P6 asap. But I still have to wait for a while I think.

Thanks.
Patricia
Dieter Wambach
Hi all
Some more experience with P6:
Data transfer was ok - no data lost or modified. Old personal layouts from a freelancer, who left the team, appeared as global layouts.
All performance related to database is significantly better especially:
- Summarize
- Assign a code to many activities (>100) which needed some time is now less than 1 second
- Copy projects - so it should be for maintain baselines as well
- Import.
For bad network - loss of connection from time to time - it’s as sensible as P5. So, when the error window appears --> more --> ignore and I can work again.
Regards to all
Dieter
Dieter Wambach
Hi Dinesh,
I remember that I completely failed to install P5 myPrimavera. I had to ask the support.
Thats why I decided to let the PAR install P6.
Regards
Dieter
Dinesh Kumar Dama...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Dear all,

How to install myPrimavera? I have followed Primavera documentation to install(Stand Alone), but unfortunately it did not work. Can anybody help.

Thanks in advance.

Dinesh
Dieter Wambach
Salut Patricia
We found some new processes on the database server: purge-delete and others. So the biggest difference we found was in database-related operations - probably for Summarize and Maintain Baselines as well; I’ll check.
For your items: did you check the size of the log-file? Maybe it is too big.
Have a nice day/Bonne journée
Dieter
Patricia Le Clainche
User offline. Last seen 9 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Guten Abend Dieter,

It looks good reading from your that performances seems to be better than in P5.
I have to do with P5 still several months I think. But I am impatient to get a feedback of P6 experience, particularly for "Summarize", "Maintain Baselines", two functions that make me turning crazy due to the time it requires, as well as the Tracking View (that I avoid to use till I have such performance trubles).

Kindest regards.
Patricia