Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 - Bugs ?? Urgent feedback wanted

4 replies [Last post]
Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 37 weeks ago. Offline
I hope that all P6 users can help me by replying to this posting.
My IT department are currently refusing to install P6 saying that there are serious bugs and that we should wait for a service pack upgrade.

Could you please reply stating
1. How long you have been using P6
2. Number of "bug" encountered
3. Any P6 operational problems

Thanks guys your responce may help me move forward!
Andy

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Andrew
We use P6 since september last year without problems. Later there was a service pack for items we didn’t realize before. 6.1 has some differences and a modifications in the database. Due to some other reasons we didn’t upgrade until now.
For your IT’s opinion there is no rational reason - or:
- Don’t like work
- Software MUST come from Microsoft, to be error free.

I agree to what Vu Dang said.
Regards
Dieter
DANG CORP
User offline. Last seen 9 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Andrew,

FYI:

- My company upgrade to P6 the moment it come out.

FAQ:
Why do you take a risk like that, what if there is a big bug?

Rationale: Software companies when they upgrade there new version, they typically add new features to it. (or else why ugprade at all),

that means, all the funciton that you use to use (in our case P5) should not be different as much.

only P6 new function might (well chances are it will) have minor bugs...

so,, even if P6 have bugs, it will only affect P6 new features...

because if you were the lead at Primavrea, and you make a new version, chances are you are not going to instruct your team to mess with the old funciton to put bugs in it.

BUGS are things that is expected when the clients runs a new function within a different tested environment from the "deveopers pc".

Exec summary
=============
1. after saying all that,
3. Think of more rationale to put forward ur P6, as that is how the world moves, of course u will disover bugs on the way, and as above, these new bugs will chances are related to new FEATURES ONLY. not your typical p5 features.
4. Catch the wave of change or be under it etc... along that line.
5. P6 have new techno that improves speed and web module etc...

Kind Regards,

Vu Dang
dangcorp.com

Paul Hodgson
User offline. Last seen 8 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Andrew

I and my team of six Planners have been using V6 since February and the only bug I think we encountered was a problem printing off from the Resource Assignment screen. This was recently rectified when we upgaded to v6.1. I will ask my Planners next week if they encountered any other problems, but I’m sure if they had I would have been made aware of them.

It’s also worth noting that we are operating on a Local Area Network, and all our programmes all fully resourced and cost loaded. I have a very experienced team and we are using the software almost to its full Portfolio management potential.

Hope this helps.
Paul Hodgson
Corus Railway Infrastructure Services.
Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 37 weeks ago. Offline
10 views and no feedback?
Come on guys help me out here!