Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 - quick way to enter the activity codes

11 replies [Last post]
N Curgus PSP
User offline. Last seen 12 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Does P6 have some kind of quick way of entering the activity codes? Something that in older P3.1 version one could enter one and then highlight the cells, for example below, right click and select FILL CELLS.

You advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nenad

Replies

Manoj Kumar
User offline. Last seen 12 years 21 weeks ago. Offline

Hai,

With P6, work differently.

You can assign Activity Codes / Resources / Successors / Predecessors etc. much faster than in P3.

e.g. to assign Activity Codes

Click on the icon for Assign Activity Codes on the right side to keep the Assign Activity Code dialog opened up.

Then go on selecting activities to be assigned with Codes and double click on the required Codes in the Assign Dialog.

You can assign multiple codes to the same selected activities in one go. You need to close the dialog only after entire code assignment is completed.

Manoj

p6actcodeassignment.jpg

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
make use of the Filter, so that you can do it at once
N Curgus PSP
Thank you all.

I finally figure it out. To acctivate the FILL DOWN function, to highlight the cells where to copy/fill the value, one needs to keep the ctrl - if wants to add one cell or shift - if wants to add more cells button pressed.

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Nenad
In this case the behaviour of P3 and P3e/P6 is different. If you entered a new code-value P3, it was attached to the code-list, if you entered an existing code-value, it was just accepted. In P6 you only select from a list.
"Fill-Down" will work.

Regards
Dieter
N Curgus PSP
Thanks Heinrich,

When I entered a value for an activity code I could not select any lines below. I guess I am doing something wrong and will need to explore this further.
Heinrich Genent
User offline. Last seen 5 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Dear N Curgus,
Show your Activity Codes in a column (task view). Using fill-down you will have to select at least two lines and the cursor needs to be in the upper line and in the row of the activity code that you want to fill downw. Then, using "Fill down" (e.g. by right click of the mouse -> Fill down) the lower activity code value will be changed.
The same effect, but far easier is to select the activities of interest -> right click of the mouse -> "Assign Activity Code" (or other options) and select the activity code of interest.

Hope to have you informed adequately.
Heinrich
N Curgus PSP
Thanks K D and David.

I found Fill Down feature under EDIT, but for some reason could not make it work. Do I need to be in a specific table format/view in order to use this function? Please advice.
David Podmore
User offline. Last seen 12 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,
Please don’t be disappointed with the newer version just because the method to accomplish a task has changed. KD is correct in that Edit Fill Down or Ctrl-E will do the same as fill cells did. I use it all the time to propagate everything from durations to codes.

Regards

David
N Curgus PSP
Thanks Imran.
Building the schedule based on a WBS has a number of disadvantages. Dealing with newer software should be easier. I feel that right now the software developers and sales people are driving a boat. Yes, you can add accounting, time sheet entry to a scheduling software, but what about just a regular schedulers. Are they actually planning to force us to use only WBS based schedule?
I am deeply disappointed occasional user of P6 and will keep promoting use of the older version P3.1 whenever I can.

NC
K D
User offline. Last seen 15 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Hi.
There is that kind of function in Edit -> Fill Down.
You can show activity code column can have a try on fill down value.
Regards
Imran Arshad
User offline. Last seen 6 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Dear N Curgus,
There is no FILL CELLS option in P6 as it was in P3 but on the other hand creating WBS based schedule is lot easier as it was bit diffcult in P3.I suggest u to creat ur project based on WBS.

Imran