Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Inter project relationship

2 replies [Last post]
Naveen Subbaiah
User offline. Last seen 14 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

I have two projects & currently there are relationships between these two projects (The start of certain activities in project 2 depends on the finish of certain activities in project 1). Now, to make a new revision (new basline) of project 1 I made a copy of project 1 & started working on it (as rev 2). But the relationships of Project 2 are still with Rev1 of project 1. Does it mean that I have to re establish the relationships all over again with Rev2 or is there any way to retain this inter project relationship when I make a new copy ??
I’m using P3e 4.1

Regards
Naveen

Replies

Naveen Subbaiah
User offline. Last seen 14 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks for your thoughts on this Dick. There is an option while copying which allows us to carry this relationship. However this caused another problem. This particular activity in Project 2 will have two predecessors (same activity from two revisions) - one from Rev1 & another from Rev 2 of Project 1. So I am left with two options now. One, bring the relationship while copying & delete the predecessors from Rev1. Second, Reestablish the links without bringing the links from Rev2.

Thanks
Naveen
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Naveen,
I think you will need to recreate the relationships in question, as I am of the opinion that these relationships are not ’Live’ but are stored information based on the last update.

If this is the case when you copy you will indeed only copy the original peices of information.

Also, I’m not sure that both Rev 1 and Rev 2 will now be linked to the second project (I think this would be the case), therefore depending on which project has the driving relationships you may cause yourself some pain. Something to think about though.

Andy