Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera 6 - Performance Issues

2 replies [Last post]
Nicholas Porter
User offline. Last seen 15 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have recently upgraded from P3.1 to Primavera 6. It performs miserably. Primavera Australia are saying that the SQL server is incompatible with my PC/server. Primavera Australia are about to test my PC in their office. The biggest problem being the 1-5 minutes to open a project, not being able to have more than one project open concurrently. I have been using V6 for about 4 weeks.

You can’t print calendars
You can’t insert page breaks
You can’t customise the toolbar
Won’t print in colour

I have since downgraded to V5, which seems to run fine - apparently V5 runs on an earlier version of SQL server.

Has anyone else had similar performance problems?

Nick

Replies

Nicholas Porter
User offline. Last seen 15 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Thanks for the info Paul.

Primavera have visited my workplace and have agreed that the PC specs are more than what is required to run the software. There is a problem with the SQL database. Primavera-AUS will be taking my PC back to their office to investigate the issues.
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 27 weeks ago. Offline
Nicholas

Page 16 of the Administration manual will explain the hardware requirements for version 6.0:

“Minimum Client Configurations for clients running the Project Management and Methodology Management modules
- 1 x 2.8 GHz or higher Intel processor (most new average laptops are 1.6 to 1.9)
- 1 GB of available RAM or more (that probably means you need 2 installed depending what else you are running at the same time)
- If installing standalone modules, 575 MB of available hard-disk space for supporting software, including .NET and SQL Server 2005 Express with Advanced Services (SP2). If upgrading from a prior release, an additional 40MB of available hard-disk space per module.
- If installing the Project Management module, 185 MB of additional hard-disk space
- If installing the Methodology Management module, 45 MB of additional hard-disk space
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 (SP2) or 7
- TCP/IP network protocol”

What are the specs of your machine?

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au