Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

WBS Vs Activity Code

9 replies [Last post]
vex zex
User offline. Last seen 13 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
HYE ALL..

TO DISCUSS.
wHAT IS THE BENEFIT OF USING ABOVE TERMS

Replies

Michael Lepage
User offline. Last seen 1 year 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I know this post is older, but for anyone interested, here's how to convert a project's wbs to activity codes....could be useful.

https://www.planacademy.com/how-to-convert-a-projects-wbs-to-activity-codes-in-oracle-primavera-p6/

Thanks,

Michael

vex zex
thanks brooo
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 15 hours 37 min ago. Offline
Activity codes:

1- Are easier to setup.
2- Meaning of each level is always constant while this is not necessarily so under other outlining methods.
3- Easier to reorganize the order of levels by simply moving the codes.

WBS Codes:

1- Are needed to keep order in Portfolio of Jobs especially when activity code values are not shared.
2- Can be difficult or time consuming to reorganize.
3- Can be created from Activity Codes, this makes it easier to reorganize if this satisfy your needs.
4- Most software provide for a single WBS dictionary which makes very hard if not impossible for two users define their own based on their particular needs.

I believe most people prefer Activity Codes. For decades because all my jobs were Stand Alone I rarely used WBS unless required by the contract. Now I use them because the software organizes the layouts using a common method, WBS. To me this is no issue at all, as I can create multiple WBS or can opt to use activity codes to create a single WBS at the click of the mouse. Multiple WBS allows me to create reports grouping activities across layouts, a very powerful functionality you got to have in order to understand. If you do not have a need to see your portfolio you might not need outlining by WBS.

Best Regards,
Rafael
vex zex
IM TOOO
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 41 weeks 23 hours ago. Offline
Hi

I prefer Activity code in P3 than WBS
vinod raturi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Hi ,

You can also summarize actvities based on WBS but not on activity codes.

Tnx
vinod raturi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Hi ,

You can also summarize actvities based on WBS but not on activity codes.

Tnx
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 15 hours 37 min ago. Offline
WBS is an outlining method that let you organize separate jobs under their own separate outline and do not depends upon all jobs having the same library of codes for a Portfolio view. When viewing a Portfolio of jobs, WBS outlining will merge without problem on most software packages while activity codes can create problems.

Most software allows you to create a single WBS library, this is very limiting functionality when you have a need to look these using a WBS based on function, at times using a WBS based on areas, at other times a WBS based on supervisor. What when you have a particular WBS need and the Owner requires you to organize WBS in his way?

It is a common need for Owners to be able to see all his jobs, from different contractors, within his portfolio to determine among other the overall projection for cash flow and here the WBS outlining method will provide for the required view. Same as the Owner at some point you will need to see the overall picture, even if all your jobs can be said to be “stand alone”. Get proficient with the use of WBS as it is a requirement to manage Portfolios.
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 41 weeks 23 hours ago. Offline
Hi Zex

Both can be used to structure the programme .

Activity Codes is used for grouping and classifying activities, in which you can use filter and work on them very effectively, it is very user friendly for programmers