Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

What is the maximum number of activity in P3?

9 replies [Last post]
Albert Balogo
User offline. Last seen 9 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Planners,

Any body knows what is the maximum number of activity can be inseted in Primavera P3 and how many open ends allowed in one programme.

Thanks,

Albert

Replies

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
We did 60,000 ++ activites using P3 for rail project
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
The real ‘limit’ for P3 is not in the number of activities but in the number of people logged-in at the same time. You should try to never have more than three people using the same P3 schedule at the same time. Above that number; you will start seeing Btrieve database corruption problems. I believe that this was the main motivating force behind Primavera switching over to the database server-base system used by P6.
Gün Göksu
User offline. Last seen 2 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
I have a schedule of around 50,000 for an Air Separation Unit (Pearl GTL/Qatar).
And I keep it up to date. :S

the schedule is divided into subprojects.
most of the data is updated through a couple databases I have set up.

Obviously some things need to be updated manually and always will have to.

Regards.
Gün Göksu

Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
I came across an organisation use P3 3.1 to manage like a enterprise system and the company entire projects are loaded in only one project.

Each home is around 200 activities and each year they build around 2000 of it and they keep the record I think 6 months

I believe they have something in around 500,000 activities

Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 27 weeks ago. Offline
There were about 700 or so mobile phone towers each with 200 activities each plus design and procurement activities. It all soon adds up.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers, Consulting and Training
www.eh.com.au
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Paul,

do you still need to update it? i’m in kuala lumpur right now, maybe i can use most of my spare time, instead of reading some unuseful posts in PP?

but why such a huge schedule? (if you just don’t mind answering)
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 27 weeks ago. Offline
I had a 200,000 or so activity schedule that I converted from Microsoft Project to P3 for a Telcom project in Malaysia a few years ago. I seem to recall it ended up about 170,000 in P3.

It seemed to schedule OK but I did not update it!

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers, Consulting and Training
www.eh.com.au
Albert Balogo
User offline. Last seen 9 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks a lot Arnold

Albert
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Albert,

As far as I know, the Limit rows of P3.1 is 32,000 & these are the activities that can be shown. However, you can add more.

The best thing to do is to create Project group if your activities are more than 32,000 or less.

For the Open Ends, for me the allowable is only Two. The Start of the Project or NTP (has no Predecessor) and the Finish, whatever activity name is it (has no Successor).

HTH.

Arnold