Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Summarized Float

3 replies [Last post]
Rajeev Kumar
User offline. Last seen 9 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can someone tell me what does the summarized float mean?Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies

Frank Borcherdt
User offline. Last seen 7 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
When you summarize data using format organize, P3 also keeps track of the earliest calculated early start, earliest calculated late start, latest calculated early finish and latest calculated late finish for that group of activities. Philip is right that there is an option to determine how the total float is calculated BUT be very careful before you change it from finish dates (the default method used by most software including SureTrak) as it will apply it to all activities as well as the summaries.

If you leave the option on finish dates it’s the latest calculated late finish for that group of activities less the latest calculated early finish for that group of activities, on start dates it’s the different between the start dates, most critical is the smallest of the start or finish float.

As long as you understand that it applies to float calculations at both the summary and detail levels chose the method that suits your particular circumstance. I tend to leave it on finish dates for compatibility with other products including Suretrak.
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys,

As I have never heard this term, I had a look in the help menu. This topic is actually covered in the P3 Help menu, under "How P3 summarizes data". Apparently you can set some options. I would say that if a group of activies is summarized, the summarized float should be that of the activity with the least float in the group. Therefore I would set the option to "most critical dates".

Lets hear some other opinions on the subject.

Regards,

Philip
Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 5 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Summarized float would be the total float available to your project, again which means the total aggregate number of days you can delay a project without affecting your completion date.

Regards,
Daniel