Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Updating Hammock Activites

8 replies [Last post]
Alfon Lyndon Joson
User offline. Last seen 7 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi guys!!

Do you update Hammock activities? or you have to convert it into TASK before updating the said activity? Hammock Activities are only used in planning stage...right?

thanks and best regards..

alfon
scdc

Replies

Alfon Lyndon Joson
hi guys;

sorry for the late reply, i dont assign in resource cuve area, and i think it would be linear by default right? When i unlink the remaining duration vs the percent complete, it seems that the hammock activity does’nt behave as it is, i mean to say is that it doesn’t update automatically, still its pct is zero, while i manually encode its underlying activities..so how does it goes?

thanks guys...try it.

alfon
scdc
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
As detailed by Steven, Hammock activity is updated automatically in primavera but we have to be careful in using hammock since we can’t suspend hammock itself, we can suspend only progressing activity underlying hammock, but the hammock will show different progress % as the data date advances(if the summarization is by duration).
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
There are two scenarios.

If the remaining duration and % complete are linked in the Autocost Rules, the hammock will be progressed according to the progress of the underlying activities. Therefore, %complete will be equal to the difference between the original duration and the remaining duration divided by the original duration.

Note, this is the elapsed duration, not the sum of the underlying durations.

If the remaining duration and %complete arent linked then the %complete field will have to be manually inserted.

HTH

Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 3 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
In addition to the previous post, please check if you assigned a resource curve other than linear curve. Use of different resource curves varies computation for earned value which may not be consistent if you compare it with duration as weighing factor.
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 4 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Is the resources is evenly distributed throughout the activity duration.
Alfon Lyndon Joson
ok try this...

Example we have three activities, Activity A, B & C and have a budget of 300k, 250k and 100k respectively. Acivity A is the Hammock of B & C. Activity B and C have a finish to start relationship. Now, as the project progresses, activity B starts same as Activity A (Hammock), and Act B has a Pct of 20% (EV=20%*250k=50k)and Act C has not yet started. I expect a percentage of 14% [50k/(250k+100k)], and so with the pct of the hammock activity cause its autogenerated from the underlying activity, right? but then it comes up that the pct of act A is 17.6% which contradicts to my expectations. How come? Can anyone explain this further?

By the way my summarization is based on Cost and not by duration.

thanks and best regards.

alfon
scdc
Dinesh Kumar Dama...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hi there,

As Steven said we do not update hammock activities and will atomatically be updated if you update the inderlying activties.

Hammocks can be used as and when required not only during the planning, but also during updating and monitoring.These activties act as a summary of the underlying activties.

regards

Dinesh

Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
The progress of a hammock activity is pre-defined by the progress of its underlying activities.

Use of a hammock is appropriate throughout the project life.

HTH