Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Unifiying External Links

3 replies [Last post]
Jhorbam Baena Orozco
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi everyone, some time back i posted a theme about how unify diferents files in one file in microsoft project using external links.

Well the external link between activities in different files is the use of the path where the file to link existe, adding the name of the file and the number of the task to link and the kind of links between the activities...an example of this is the like i show following:

C:\URBAPETROL\PDT Repro Project\PDT Repro Total\Compras.mpp\1

or

C:\URBAPETROL\PDT Repro Project\PDT Repro Total\Electrico.mpp\223FC+20 días

But now, i need to group all activities in one only file...ok i can create a new file, create the activities calendar, open the individual project files, copy the activities and paste into the new file created...BUT...in the moment of paste the extrernal links continue be external don't became a local links.  well, sound crazy but i hope u understand me...now i have a total of 6500 activities in my project and like average 2 links into each activity so...while exist the external links will be exist "gost" activities that will be over the activity that have the external link if is a predecessor or down if is sucessor.

In my Project i have almost 1500 external links, manually is very hard to make the changes so...someone know how i can automate the process of convert the external links in local links...some know how to make this?...

Thanks

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 23 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Jhorbam

Well it was worth a try - it certainly works in PowerProject.

I guess you will just have to add the links one by one and the delete the external ones.

Best regards

Mike T.

Jhorbam Baena Orozco
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Mike thanks 4 ur answer, but Drag and Drop works to you?...to me don't work drag and drop the activities from one file to other...well, the drag and drop work, but this process don't convert to local the external links.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 23 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Jhorbam

Instead of Copy / paste try Drag and Drop.

Best regards

Mike T.